LocationHôpital du Sacré-Cœur de Montréal
Recruitment statusOngoing recruitment
Research has shown that the main factors explaining development of most chronic disease (e.g., cardiovascular diseases, asthma, diabetes) are poor health behaviours such as smoking, poor diet, excessive alcohol consumption, physical inactivity and inadequate adherence to medication. Changing behaviours, even when they are bad for our health and even when our doctors tells us to, is not an easy task. In fact, telling people what to do is probably the least effective method to get them to commit to a task! However, there is hope. Psychologists have been using motivational communication (MC) as a successful tool to aid in health behaviour change. MC is a communication style, centered on the patient and designed to increase their motivation to adopt and maintain healthy behaviours. However, as not everyone has access to a psychologist, there is an increased demand for training doctors in MC.
With this project, we are interested to determine how to best train physicians in order to maximize their MC competency. Our ultimate goal is to help patient’s improve their health outcomes by modifying their physician’s communication skills.
Co-PIs: Paul Poirier, MD, Shawn Aaron, MD, Paul Oh, MD, Doreen Rabi, MD, Mark Fitzgerald, MD
Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR)
- Dragomir AI, Boucher VG, Bacon SL, Gemme C, Szczepanik G, Corace K, Campbell TS, Vallis MT, Garber G, Rouleau C, Rabi D, Diodati JG, Ghali W, Lavoie KL*. (2021). An International Delphi Consensus study to define Motivational Communication in the Context of Developing a Training Program for Physicians. Translational Behavioral Medicine. 2021 Mar 16;11(2):642-652.
- Boucher VG, Gemme C, Ribiero P, Bacon SL, Lavoie KL*. (2021). Evaluation of Communication Skills Among Physicians: A Reply to the Commentary by Smith, Kovar-Gough, and Grayson-Sneed. Psychosomatic Medicine 2021 Jan 1; 83(1):102-103.
- Gosselin Boucher V, Gemme C, Dragomir A, Larue F, Bacon SL, Lavoie KL. Evaluation of communication skills among physicians: A systematic review of existing assessment tools. Psychosomatic Medicine. 2020 May; 82(4): 440-451.
- Dragomir A, Julien C, Bacon SL, Gosselin-Boucher V, Lavoie KL, for the Can-Change Network. (2019). Training physicians in behavior change counselling: A systematic review. Patient Education and Counselling, 102(1):12-24.
- Lavoie KL, Rash J, Campbell TS. (2017). Changing provider behavior in the context of chronic disease management: Focus on clinical inertia. Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology 2017 Jan 6;57:263-283.
- Rouleau CR, Lavoie K, Bacon SL, Vallis M, Corace K, Campbell TS, for the Canadian Network for Health Behavior Change and Promotion (2015). Training healthcare providers in motivational communication for promoting physical activity and exercise in cardiometabolic health settings: Do we know what we are doing? Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports, 9: 29.
- Campbell TS, Bacon SL, Corace K, Lavoie KL, Rash JA, Vallis M. (2015). Comment on Pladevall et al, “A Randomized Controlled Trial to Provide Adherence Information and Motivational Interviewing to Improve Diabetes and Lipid Control.” The Diabetes Educator, 41: 625-626.