PhD in The Activity, smoking cessation, healthy eating and alcohol education, intervention, and motivation (ACCELERATION) eHealth study
The ACCELERATION program aims to improve behavioural risk factors associated with the development of non-communicable chronic diseases (NCDs: cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes). It is a structured 12-week ehealth program that was developed using an integrated knowledge translation process. It primarily targets increasing physical activity, as well as increasing fruit and vegetable consummation, and reducing tobacco smoking. It uses well established behavioural and motivation techniques to enhance intrinsic motivation in participants. The current funded study will be recruiting individuals at high risk of developing NCDs across three Canadian provinces to test the efficacy of the intervention. Though the project is national in scope, the position will be based at the Montreal Behavioural Medicine Centre (http://mbmc-cmcm.ca), which is a collaborative centre between the CIUSSS-NIM Hôpital du Sacré-Coeur de Montreal, Concordia University, and UQAM.
The individual who is selected for this position will be expected to work with the co-PI of the project, Dr. Simon Bacon (http://mbmc-cmcm.ca/member/simon-bacon/), or co-investigator, Dr. Kim Lavoie (http://mbmc-cmcm.ca/member/ kim-lavoie-2/), in delivering the project in Quebec and enhancing the national stakeholder engagement elements of the study.
In addition to aspects of coordination, the student will be able to work on a variety of research-related aspects of the study including:
- Co-delivering the online intervention
- Conducting assessments
- Development of dissemination tools
- Participating in stakeholder engagement activities
- A Master’s degree in a related applied clinical discipline (e.g., Kinesiology, Nursing, Nutrition, Psychology, Medicine) if applying to Concordia, or
- A Bachelor’s degree in Psychology if applying to UQAM
- Prior experience conducting research in at least one of the following areas:
- eHealth interventions
- Integrated knowledge translation
- Implementation science
- Physical activity interventions
- Secondary chronic disease prevention
- Ability to communicate (orally) in both English and French
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated research productivity (e.g., conference presentations, peer-reviewed publications, master’s thesis, honours thesis)
- Ability to work autonomously and take a lead role on projects under supervision of principal investigators
Preference will be given to candidates with:
- Openness to learn new methods and techniques in an applied clinical setting
- Translation experience
- Provincial, national and international candidates are encouraged to apply
Start date, Duration, Stipend, and Location
The PhD will start in September 2019 (though there is also the possibility of starting during the summer of 2019); funding has already been received.
The funding package consists of a minimum 3-year stipend (consistent with Fonds de Recherche du Quebec funding levels) plus conference / training funding. For out of province and international candidates there are also tuition waivers potentially available.
The successful candidate will can be registered either at Concordia University in the Departmf Health, Kinesiology, and Applied Physiology (www.concordia.ca) or at UQAM (www.uqam.ca) in the Department of Psychology; the actual work would be conducted at the CIUSSS-NIM, Hôpital du Sacré-Coeur de Montreal (www.crhscm.ca). Please note that the language of instruction acordia is English and French at UQAM.
To apply, please forward the following:
- A complete curriculum vitae, including summary of GPA’s, a full publication list (including hyperlinks where possible) and email contact details for two referees
- A letter of motivation and statement of research accomplishments and future research goals
How to apply:
- The complete application package must be emailed to: email@example.com. Please include “ACCELERATION PhD” in the subject line.
- Queries about the application should be sent to Dr. Bacon (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 14th December 2018, 5 pm EST. Interviews will be conducted in January 2019 and the successful candidate will need to apply to the University by the official application.