Horizon Postdoctoral Fellowship at Concordia University:
Psychosocial aspects of bariatric care across the life course
Reference Number: 9000
- Angela Alberga (Supervisor)
- Simon Bacon (Co-Supervisor)
The Department of Health, Kinesiology and Applied Physiology at Concordia University, Montreal, announces the availability of a 2-year Postdoctoral Fellowship in Bariatric Care in adolescents and adults living with obesity in partnership with the Montreal Children’s Hospital and the CIUSSS-NIM.
Successful candidates for this fellowship should have experience conducting qualitative and/or quantitative research in the field of obesity and have strong interests in ultimately pursuing an academic career in this field. The individual who is selected for this position will be expected to work with Dr. Angela Alberga and Dr. Simon Bacon.
The postdoctoral fellow will gain interdisciplinary clinical research experience related to obesity and psychosocial and sociocultural aspects of bariatric surgery across the lifespan with children, adolescents and adults. They will gain experience in quantitative data analysis, collaborative manuscript and grant writing, conference presentations, local, national and international networking, student teaching and mentorship.
Academic qualifications required:
All candidates should be from a PhD program in health sciences, kinesiology, psychology, public health or related fields with experience in obesity research. Candidates are required to have effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, excellent research productivity (e.g. peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations) and a strong ability to work autonomously under the supervision of the principal investigators.
Candidates must have completed all doctoral degree requirements by the start of fellowship. Applicants who have not completed their dissertations at the time of application are required to provide a letter from their advisers stating the expected completion date, and this date must occur before the start of the fellowship.
- Applicants must not currently hold a postdoctoral appointment at Concordia
- Priority will be given to postdoctoral fellows who have obtained their PhD from another university although in exceptional cases Concordia graduates may be considered
- Applicants must adhere to the postdoctoral fellow eligibility criteria outlined in Concordia University’s Postdoctoral Policy
Timeline and Application Process:
The deadline to receive the applications: May 24, 2021
The Postdoctoral Fellow must start his/her appointment by January 01, 2022.
- All documents must be submitted to Niyusha Samadi at Postdocs@concordia.ca
- Please include the reference number with your application (#9000)
- One to three (1-3) page research statement demonstrating fit with the program described above
- Current curriculum vitae demonstrating research excellence and a capacity for leadership in the domain (maximum 5 pages).
- An example of previous written work
- Two letters of reference from academic supervisors or current employers to be sent via e-mail directly to: Niyusha Samadi at Postdocs@concordia.ca
Concordia University is a vibrant research and teaching environment, with state-of-the-art research facilities and many research centers. Concordia is located in Montreal, Canada, a diverse and creative city, often ranked as offering one of the best quality of living experiences in North America.