LocationHôpital du Sacré-Cœur de Montréal
Recruitment statusRecruitment complete, follow-up currently in progress
Uncontrolled asthma is the #1 cause of asthma-related mortality, which claims the lives of nearly 450 Canadians per year. Achieving optimal asthma control relies upon several behavioral factors (e.g., self-monitoring, treatment adherence) that may be influenced by chronic negative mood states and anxiety disorders. Those disorders may influence asthma outcomes by altering the way patients cognitively interpret and behave towards their disease, and may result in poor self-management and worse levels of asthma control. Though previous studies have reported associations between mood and anxiety disorders and worse asthma control and/or asthma-related quality of life, no studies to date that have assessed the extent to which mood and anxiety disorders are predictive of worse asthma control and quality of life.
As such, the present proposal has two main objectives: to examine the extent to which mood and/or anxiety disorders are independent risk factors for worse asthma control and quality of life; and to assess the cognitive (e.g., illness perceptions) and behavioral (e.g., treatment adherence) mechanisms by which this may occur.
This study is the first to establish whether mood and/or anxiety disorders are independent risk factors for worse asthma control and quality of life, and by what cognitive and behavioral mechanisms this may occur. The results may be used to inform physicians about the importance of considering psychological and behavioral risk factors for chronic disease and inform the development and implementation of interventions designed to treat psychiatric disorders and improve asthma outcomes in high-risk patients.
Conseil de recherches en sciences humaines
Fondation Michel Auger
Fonds de la recherche en santé du Québec (FRSQ)
- Plourde A, Moullec G, Bacon SL, Suarthana E, Lavoie KL. (2016). Optimizing screening for depression among adults with asthma. Journal of Asthma, 53: 736-743.
- Bacon SL, Lemiere C, Moullec G, Ninot G, Pepin V, Lavoie KL. (2015). Association between patterns of leisure time physical activity and asthma control in adult patients. BMJ Open Respiratory Research, 2: e000083.
- Boudreau M, Bacon SL, Ouellet K, Jacob A, Lavoie KL. (2014). Mediator effect of depressive symptoms on the association between body mass index and asthma control in adult asthmatics. Chest, 146: 348-354.
- Favreau H, Bacon SL, Labrecque M, Lavoie KL. (2014). Prospective impact of panic disorder and panic-anxiety on asthma control, health service use, and quality of life in adult asthma patients over a four-year follow-up. Psychosomatic Medicine, 76: 147-155.
- Ouellet K, Bacon SL, Boudreau M, Plourde A, Moullec G, Lavoie KL. (2012). Individual and Combined Impact of Cigarette Smoking, Anxiety and Mood Disorders on Asthma Control. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 14: 961-969.
- Rizk A, Lavoie KL, Pepin V, Wright A, Bacon SL. (2012). Sex differences in the effects of inhaled corticosteroids on weight gain among patients with asthma. ISRN Pulmonology, 2012; Article ID 138326. doi:10.5402/2012/138326.
- Favreau H, Bacon SL, Joseph M, Labrecque M, Lavoie KL. (2012). Association between asthma medications and suicidal ideation in adult asthmatics. Respiratory Medicine, 106: 933–941.
- Lavoie KL, Boudreau M, Plourde A, Campbell TS, Bacon SL. (2011). Association between generalized anxiety disorder and asthma morbidity. Psychosomatic Medicine, 73: 504-513.
- Wright A, Lavoie KL, Jacob A, Rizk A, Bacon SL. (2010). Effects of body mass index on exercise as a reported asthma trigger. The Physician and Sportsmedicine, 38:61-6.
- Bacon SL, Bouchard A, Loucks E, Lavoie KL. (2009). Is socio-economic status associated with worse asthma morbidity in a Canadian sample of adult asthmatics? Respiratory Research;10:125.
- Lavoie KL, Bouchard A, Joseph M, Campbell TS, Favreau H, Bacon SL. (2008). Association of asthma self-efficacy to asthma control and quality of life. Ann Behav Med;36:100-6.
- Barone S, Labrecque M, Campbell TS, Ditto B, Bacon SL, Lavoie KL. (2008). The association between atopy and anxiety sensitivity in adult asthmatics. J Behav Med;31:331-339.
- Bacon SL, Bergeron C, Boulet LP, Chen Y, Dixon A, Ernst P, Hamid Q, Holguin F, Irvin CG, Kimoff RJ, Komakuloff S, Laprise C, Lavoie KL, Shore S, Theodorescu M, Vohl MC. (2007). Symposium on obesity and asthma: November 2006. Can Respir J; 14:201-8.
- Lavoie KL, Bacon SL, Cartier A, Barone S, Ditto B, Labrecque M. (2006). What’s worse for asthma: mood disorders, anxiety disorders, or both? CHEST; 130:1039-1047.
- Lavoie KL, Bacon SL, Labrecque M, Cartier A, Ditto B. (2006). Higher body mass index is associated with worse asthma control and quality of life among adult asthma patients. Respir Med; 100: 648–657.
- Lavoie KL, Cartier A, Labrecque M, Bacon SL, Lacoste G, Barone S, Verrier P, Ditto B. (2005). Are psychiatric disorders associated with worse asthma control and quality of life in asthma patients? Respir Med; 99; 1249-1257.